Womens swimwear includes a full range of one-piece, two-piece, and cover-up garments that are designed for use in a pool or at a beach. The range of styles of one- and two-piece swimwear fits all different body types. The swimwear is designed for ease of movement, comfort, and style in hot weather.
What to look for in womens swimwear?
When shopping for a bathing suit, there are a lot of options. Keep these tips in mind when looking for a swimsuit.
- Number of pieces - A swimsuit can be one-piece or two-piece. A one-piece swimsuit is usually called a bathing suit. A two-piece swimsuit could be called a tankini, bikini, bandeau, or halter swimsuit.
- Padding and lining - A one-piece swimsuit, bikini, or halter may have padding in the cups. The one-piece swimsuit and two-piece bottoms may have a sanitary lining.
- Type of fasteners - Ties, elastic, hooks, or straps keep the swimsuit top and bottom in place.
- Body type - Consider the body type, such as curvy, high-waisted, short-waisted, pear-shaped, or plus-sized.
What are the styles of womens swimwear?
Swimsuits for women are available in many configurations, including bikini, tankini, monokini, or one-piece. The bathing suit could be designed to look sporty, sexy, or simple. Each swimsuit for women is designed with a womans body shape in mind.
- Straps - Halter straps are wider, bikini straps are typically thinner ties, and bandeau has no straps. The straps may crisscross or line up straight.
- Neckline - Select halter, plunging, V-neck, scoop, boat neck, or ruched.
- Bikini tops
- Cup style - Underwire, padded, cutout, or halter for cup support.
- Back style - Plunging, halter, backless, strappy, lace-up, and single strap are available.
- Bottoms - Skirted, cutout, low-waisted, bikini, and one-piece are swimwear options.
- Piece of swimwear - One-piece swimwear for women is common for athletics and swimming. Two-piece swimwear has separate top and bottoms.
- Stylish touches - A one-piece bathing suit or monokini could be skirted, or a bikini bottom could have a skirt. Other stylish touches include padded shoulders, cutouts, and printed designs.
How does the size of womens swimwear work?
The size of swimwear for a woman focuses on several different measurements. The top size of swimwear corresponds to a bra size. This is the measurement taken under the bust. The cup size of swimwear refers to the difference in inches around the chest versus under the bust. Some manufacturers label the size of swimwear more like the sizes of tops, such as extra-small or plus size. For a bikini or two piece, the size of bikini is similar to pants measurements, with a number such as bikini 6 or bikini 14. In some cases, the size of bikini ranges from extra-small to extra-large. Each manufacturer may have different size of bikini options, such as a curvy size, junior size, or plus size for bottoms. Tankini sizes for bottoms usually follow underwear size conventions.