Oversized chairs are chairs that are larger than your standard chair but are smaller than sofas or even loveseats. These chairs are known as a chair and a half as they offer more room. They are known to be spacious and comfortable, making them fun to lounge on when watching a movie or reading a book.What can room chairs be used for?
While you can always use room chairs and sofas for sitting, whether in your living room or in your bedroom, these pieces of furniture can have secondary uses:
- Accent chairs: An accent chair is a chair that complements but does not match the sofa and other living room furniture. They may be made from different, more colorful materials or may have a different style.
- Loungers: Because they are designed to be comfortable, some enjoy using these living room chairs as a place to lay about and read, talk on the phone, or watch TV. They are perfect for use in home libraries or home offices.
- Sleepers: In some cases, living room chairs that are larger or overstuffed may have mechanical units inside that allow the chairs to transform into a narrow sleeper for guests.
Accent chairs and other larger armchairs can be made from a variety of materials, including:
- Cotton or fabric: Armchairs made of fabric can be a variety of colors, styles, and patterns as the fabric can be dyed, allowing for the upholstery to match your style. Some accent chairs may have tufted backs to add a sense of luxury to the living room.
- Synthetic materials: Faux leather and other synthetic fabrics are great for accent chairs or loungers. They are generally easy to clean, making them a good option for those who have kids.
- Leather: Leather armchairs are comfortable and soft. Some leather living room chairs may be dyed a variety of colors.
- Microfiber: This synthetic fiber is fine, soft, and dense. The fabric is very durable for heavy use and can be easily cleaned.
When looking for accent chairs and other large seating, there are some considerations that you should make:
- Size: Oversized furniture is generally larger than your normal living room furniture. As such, make sure to measure your space to ensure that your furniture will fit.
- Recliner: This type of oversized furniture comes with a mechanical unit inside the frame. When you pull the lever, the arm chair lays back and a footrest pops out. They can be heavier than non-reclining sofas and other furniture due to the mechanical unit.
- Folding mattress: Like recliners, these pieces of furniture have mechanical units that fold out to form a narrow mattress. If you have guests who visit regularly, this may be a perfect option for you.
- Swivel: Swivel accent chairs allow you to turn around without having to get up.