Motorcycle Fender and Gas Tank Sets
The gas tank and fenders are vital parts of a motorcycle in terms of both functionality and aesthetic. They comprise most of what is painted or colored and contribute significantly to the overall look of the bike. The options available for customizing your motorcycle with new sets and accessories are almost endless.How do you remove a motorcycle fuel tank?
Typically, the gas tank of a motorcycle may be removed and replaced with common hand tools. With many models, the removal process goes as follows:
- Remove the seat of the motorcycle.
- Remove the fasteners holding the fuel tank in place.
- Separate the fuel line.
- Removing the tank.
Installation follows the same instructions, just in reverse order. It is important that this repair only be performed after the motorcycle has completely cooled down after running.How do you get rust out of a gas tank?
All motorcycles, no matter how well maintained, inevitably get at least some rust buildup in the gas tank. Cleaning the gas tank will ensure that rust and debris dont get into the fuel lines or engine. You can use the mechanical approach of adding ball bearings, nuts, or even ice to the removed gas tank and shaking it to dislodge rust and debris. You could also choose the chemical approach by filling the tank with vinegar and allowing it to sit overnight.How do you paint a motorcycle gas tank?
This process of customizing or restoring your gas tank takes several steps, but done right and with patience, it can be a rewarding project. There are several things youll need first. These are hand tools, rough and fine grit sandpaper, acetone, automotive primer, paint, clearcoat, some cloths, and wax. Once these things are ready:
- Remove the fuel tank. Thoroughly clean the inside and outside of it.
- Use the rough grit sandpaper and acetone to get down to bare metal.
- Use a fine grit sandpaper to make the surface smooth.
- Apply automotive spray primer in three to five thin coats, allowing about 30 minutes between coats. Let dry for two days.
- Clean the tank before painting.
- Apply automotive paint the same way as the primer and let dry for two more days.
- Use a very fine grit sandpaper and lightly wet sand the tank.
- Apply clear coat in two coats and allow to dry for at least two days.
- Wax and polish your tank before reinstalling.
Powder coating is a type of finish that may be applied to the tanks exterior. The powder is a thermoplastic or thermoset polymer that is cured onto the metal with heat. The finish is more resistant to chipping, fading, and scratching than other finishes and is available in a wide variety of colors and glosses.